Tuesday, April 14, 2009

EASTER

I  totally didn't get a chance to mention Easter here.   I told you I get so overwhelmed in the empathy stuff.

As we were heading to church we were discussing the HUGE emphasis the world puts on Christmas.  And I truly dislike it.  I mean, if it were all focused on the birth of Jesus, then yeah, let's celebrate.  But, sorry, folks-Santa is not Christmas for me. Same thinking for Easter, what's the deal with the bunny?  I have NEVER understood that.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE bunnies. They're cute and cuddly. I had one for an indoor pet for a while.  I love decorative bunnies that can be left out year round (no pastels).  I acquired that love from Donna Wester.  I adore her bunnies.  Anyway, I think I need to do some research into the whole bunny thing.  

EASTER is about a risen Christ who died an excruciating death for my sins.  His Father (mine, too) offered him as a living sacrifice so that I could live, so that my sins could be forgiven.  So that I could have a relationship with Him.  I don't see a bunny in there.  I see pain and suffering so I can be free.  Free and filled with hope, love and grace.  Oh, beautiful sweet grace!

I don't see the world putting a bigger emphasis on the birth of Jesus or his death. I do see our family putting a bigger emphasis on it.  We made Resurrection Cookies again this year.  It was our best year yet and I have hope that each year will get better as the boys understand more and more.  Nathan got a very good understanding this year when he tasted the vinegar.  He didn't want to at first, but then said, "If Jesus can do it, then so can I."  All I could hear in my head were the lyrics, "I want to be more like Him because he wants to be more like me."  How badly do I want to be more like Jesus so my children will be more like Him and want to serve Him?  I pray to be a mom worthy of my boys...

Easter-no bunny.  A cross, a vividly painful reminder of a beautiful sacrifice for my sins.  What's your Easter?

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome. Thanks for telling it like it is...you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT ON LADY!
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete