Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thankful

My heart is so full of gratitude right now.  The boys and I have been "home alone" since Tuesday night at 1:30am  (that makes it technically Wednesday morning, doesn't it?).  Jim went on a great trip with our middle school group to Jonathan Creek Camp in Hardin, KY.  54 middle school students and chaperones on a bus for a long, exhausting trip full of pranks, fun and time with our most awesome GOD!  I knew he would have a great time, camp is right up his alley and bonding with his now 7th grade guys is very important so I am very excited for him to have had this opportunity!

However, I was so freaked out about being home alone mainly because Brady has not let me put him to bed since he weaned himself at close to one year.  I had been imagining a week of sleepless nights or of me trying to sleep with him (ha, not happening)!  Needless to say I was a bit of a freak all day Wednesday just dreading the bedtime routine.  Everything went as well as it normally does, we did everything we always do with Jim and he gave me all of his pointers for handling Brady.  I took Brady into his room and he didn't even utter a cry!  It was purely a miracle.  He did call down for me at 10:30 crying his eyes out, but Jim had prepared me with what to say so I was ready and knew how to handle it.  Then Nathan woke up at 12:30 crying and I knew how to handle him.  Ah, super mom here I come!  No more problems the rest of the week, the boys went to bed without a single problem each night and it's been pure bliss at bedtime.  I am so THANKFUL for easy bedtimes!  All that stress for nothing!  I SHOULD learn from this, should learn to not stress the little things, but will I?  No, I'm sure that next summer, should Jim go to camp again I'll probably get a little freaked again!  Not to mention that the boys connived against me and coerced me into allowing Brady to wear his underwear to bed two nights ago.  Two nights, no accidents.  We'll see what happens tonight.  Potty training him has been a breeze-I'm not sure if it's the second go-round or if he's just been easier, but I'm so THANKFUL!

Our nightly routine consists of the four of us sitting on Nathan's bed together reading, joking, and praying.  We pick a fun book then we read our family devotional from HiHo (Leading Little Ones to God).    I've taken the memory verses and put them on sentence strips and Nathan loves having them to look at each night.  One of the highlights of the night is selecting a joke from the joke book the boys made for Jim for Father's Day this year.  Tonight's joke was "What makes the zzub zzub sound?  A bee flying backwards."  Some of them are so cheesy, but the boys sure do enjoy them!  In Jim's absence, Brady's been asking Nathan to start our prayer.  Here's how Nathan started tonight:  "Dear Lord, thank you for this day. Thank you for my brother Brady. Please look after him always and thank you for giving him to us. We love you. Amen"  Well, I always cry when I pray outloud as it is. So you know I was leaking faucets with this one.  Our devotional had been about loving and trusting God no matter what the circumstance.  I shared with them how hard it had been to continue trusting and loving God when Harris died but that we must always trust and love Him.  That He is true and just and has a beautiful, perfect plan for our lives.  Nathan and Brady are part of that perfect plan for our lives and they are our gift from Him.  I always want them to know that.  His perfect plan for our lives is having these two amazing children who bring us immeasurable joy.  Nathan understood that and captured it in his prayer of gratitude for his brother.  I am so THANKFUL for the gift of my boys and the gift they are to each other!

Jim will be home in about two hours.  I am so so so so so so so THANKFUL for that!  I'm quite exhausted.  I don't know how single parents do this.  I've had to take the boys to work with me throughout the week and this weekend.  I'm fortunate that I CAN take them, but it's not easy.  They feel more than at home at church.  They behave at home (most of the time), they go kind of crazy at church!  They know where each person has candy in their office, who has toys, and that I have to be there so there's only so much I can do.  They must think the lobby is some mini-gym for them to run around in-great, huh?  I am THANKFUL to be going to work alone this week and I'm quite certain my coworkers are, too!  I'm sure they "love" my children but everyone has their limits and those limits may have been met this week!  

Happy heart, full of gratitude!  Maybe I'll be back to creatively blogging again now!


No comments:

Post a Comment