Thursday, September 25, 2014

After hearing my sweet boys claim starvation as they prepare their lunches this week I thought it was time to swing by the store and get them some food.  Of course, I decided to do this at 7:30 in the morning.  So we ran to our neighborhood Food Lion which won't be our neighborhood Food Lion for long (ahhhhhh).  Brady made sure to comment about that as we walked in the door heading straight for the apples. 

Yesterday on Facebook I made a comment about apples-

Feeling a little bitter towards Adam and Eve right now 
with all this laundry I need to take care of! 
An apple is not worth it lady, 
you should have held out for dark chocolate.

While I fully believe what I said, our family loves apples and could go through an orchard faster than termites.  Sometimes I'm buying apples twice a week.  Oddly enough, our apples were on sale for $1.49 a pound.  I grabbed two bags thinking it would be cheaper that way.  Hahaha, I'll get back to that later.*

As we were heading over towards the lunch necessity of string cheese, the produce manager makes eye contact with me as I look towards the baby carrots (another thing we plow right through).  He starts walking over to me with a dozen beautiful red roses in a vase.  I immediately start thinking, "Dude, I cannot afford roses right now" and "I don't have a hand for holding those" and "Why are you headed over here with those?"

He gets closer and says, "These are for you."  He then suggests one of the boys carry them because I've got an orchard in my arms (what cart, this is my muscle work out?).  I kindly (still mute) look at him and suggest the boys carry the orchard and I carry the stunning roses in a GLASS vase.  We do a fancy switcheroo, I smile and say thank you so very much and we start to walk away.  He reminds me to tell the cashier they are free.  But why does my mind think I'm going to get to checkout and still be expected to pay, even after they were promised as free?

We proceed to string cheese and gogurt leaving a Hansel and Gretel trail of apples (really, it was worse than having popcorn at Target) and head to check out.  We are waiting in line and I hear the cashier tell the customer in front of me that he's doing well, better than he deserves because of the grace of God.  Y'all, I'm floored, this kid at checkout (I do think he was maybe 12) was getting his preaching on this morning.  I was looking forward to hearing what he had to say to me and my free roses.  He starts by taking ALL of the apples out of the bag because he doesn't want me to have to pay for weight of the bag.  I'm already loving this kid.  Then he asks how I'm doing and I say I'm doing great.  He says, "Aren't we all, it's all because of God's grace and mercy."  I agree with him and let him know that I don't deserve all that God's given me.  We share that "I'm-a-Christ-follower-smile" that I expect will be seen upon entrance into Heaven.  

He gets to the roses and I still feel anxious.  I feel I don't deserve them.  They are worth too much.  Someone else should get them.  Why would he choose me of all people to give them to?  I let this sweet kid know that the produce manager gave them to me.  He says, "Isn't that nice, he did that last week."  I'm thinking, wow, this guy gives flowers away like God gives us grace and love and mercy and hope and peace and and and the ands never stop when we think of all He gives us.  I'm floored.  I am also ashamed.  I didn't show my gratitude to the produce man.  I was still in shock, it was EARLY and I don't do early.  I was thinking of the why me and how would I carry them and everything else.  I was thinking and worrying about stuff that doesn't matter.  When I should have been hugging that man with gratitude.  Kinda like worrying about everything in this world instead of praising God for ALL He provides for me.  Worrying about selling and buying a house, changing schools, starting a new ministry, maintaining my current job...all these worries that have consumed my joy. All these worries that have taken the place of my praising God for all these things I even have to worry about.  

Needless to say, my morning has been rocked.  My to-do list is glaring at me.  But I'm going to slow down, I'm going to take advantage of this gift from God as a gentle, beautiful reminder of gratitude. 

*Back to the apples, my total cost of the apples was $6.66.  satan may be laughing at that one, but God gains all the glory.  Take that, evil one!

No comments:

Post a Comment